Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Nothing But Thieves - "Nothing But Thieves" ALBUM REVIEW





         What do we when the lights go down? That's the burning question this Essex based band brought when their hit "Trip Switch" crossed over to American success. The band bring a balance of self questioning relationship centered tunes and hard hitting alternative rock jams, so its easy to find something to please listeners of all tastes. 

"Trip Switch" gained play on AltNation in the states, which was my first exposure to the band. I also have the satellite station to thank for turning me on to the likes of Big Data, and of course fellow UK rockers Royal Blood. One thing I've unfortunately noticed about a good chunk of the bands played on that station, other than the ones with established careers; a history of lackluster full length albums after dropping a hot single. Not naming names, but to say I've been disappointed a few times with a debut album from an artist I've liked a song or two from is an understatement.

I wasn't expecting a ton from this album. Hell, I had forgotten about the single before my viewers started requesting a review of the self titled album. I queued it and follow up single "Itch" on Spotify one night last week, and upon hearing them, I knew I had to give the record a shot. It's more than I could've hoped for guys, I'm thoroughly impressed. Now not every song is an instant dose of ecstasy, but there's a reason detectives cross examine the witness. You've got to look at things from every angle.

While it may not be the most cohesive record in terms of how it sounds, I think there's one thing that connects all of these songs. Conor Mason's voice is, naturally, the guiding light, but I think the poetic musings are the element that stay the strongest throughout. Whether it be on the urgent "Drawing Pins", the distant mood swing "Graveyard Whistling", or even the Snow Patrol-esque chiller "Lover, Please Stay", the talent will not go unnoticed, even if I might not enjoy some as much as others. 

"Itch" burns away at my eardrums more and more with each listen, playing with a strong lead guitar and a large burst of energy once things really get started. I'm really jamming to "Hostage" as well, and I'm really starting to realize something about this band as I unpack their record. They may present themselves as an alt rock outfit, but "Hostage" and others proves that its not all about rocking out to pack a punch. There's some pounding drums and riffs for sure, but notice the dancing vocals that range all the way up to falsetto, and the spacey synths that haunt the chorus, sounding like a combination of 80s new wave and modern rock. 

Falsetto mode gets a little bit old, I'll admit that. Especially when the instrumental doesn't suit it, like on the closer "Tempt You", or at times on the mainly excellent "If I Get High", which gets a pass for its well penned narrative. Mason has the range to pull it off, and things like the poppy hook on "Trip Switch" show when it can used to the band's advantage. Sadly on some of the more slow lit fuses, his voice proves to be less enigmatic than expected, but I definitely see room for growth in his blossoming career. 

Nothing But Thieves mined for coal, but actually struck gold a handful of times of this promising debut LP. It may seem spotty at first, but give it a few listens, I have a feeling you'll see that the power lies in repeated listens. Rock out, cry, tell a friend...whatever this record makes you want to do, really. You have my full support.

"Nothing But Thieves"
Released: 10/23/15 (US)
Album Rating: 4/5
Genre: Alt Rock/Indie/Pop
RCA Records

Thanks for reading my review. Find most of my reviews on my YouTube channel, and follow the blog to make sure you don't miss a post here. 

-Jon (ARTV) 










No comments:

Post a Comment