Tuesday, October 13, 2015

State Champs - Around The World And Back (Album Review)



 So I'm sure there may be a few of you guys that are upset that I'm doing the State Champs review in a text format instead of my "business as usual" video style that I'm known for. Well, here's the thing. I've been feeling a bit burned out as of late, especially whenever I try and film certain reviews. This one was especially tiresome for me just because I didn't have a ton to say. I didn't feel like the reviews I recorded for Around The World And Back added enough to the conversation to merit an upload. From time to time, you may see me link to a blog post, and just know that it's saving me the headache of uploading something that I don't have my heart in. (I've only done that a handful of times, and let me tell you, that sucks to post something you aren't proud of.)

Pushing that aside, State Champs are a pop punk outfit that have been rising in the ranks over the past few years since the release of 2013's The Finer Things. Even though they really haven't reached a huge audience with their music yet, they do have a very devoted fan base, one that has requested this review of me quite often since it was announced back in June.

This band plays pop punk and pop rock music like its the early 2000s, or maybe even the late 90s, all over again. I say that because they bring a certain sense of energy and charisma that lacked for awhile in popular pop punk music, but I'm happy to see the torch being carried by bands like this. You'll notice strong and driving guitars, peppy vocals, and a sense of fun that really helps this album stand out.

Now before I praise some of the tracks I like, I have to note this records major flaw. A lot of these songs are very similar. There's a very clear formula being used, big sing along choruses, bouncing riffs, and lots of build up in the verses, three elements you'll see plenty of in this album. This may sound like the perfect idea on paper, but trust me, it wears thin on some of the cuts that don't have enough variety in their instrumentation. 

I loved the energy and attitude that the lead single "Secrets" brought, and in fact, its turned into one of the best pop punk songs of the year! I love the thumping bass work, and the angst that fuels the vocals on this track. The problem is, I heard the same idea and vibe cashed out on several other moments on the LP.

I'm stoked about some of the creativity I'm hearing in songs like "Losing Myself", which has some awesome guitar work going on, as well as "Perfect Score", which puts a nice fresh take on the 'girl I can't have' story. "Shape Up" drives home a solid message about being responsible for your own actions, with the backing vocals feeling particularly strong on this song. Super catchy as well, so this could be one of the tracks that has some staying power long beyond some of its peers. 

The token slow song comes in the form of the title track, but I was actually pleasantly surprised at what we got. I'll admit that the chorus is fluff compared to the verses, which are where the real meat of this song lie. The female voice in this track belongs to Ansley Newman of the band Jule Vera, and pairs up really nice, adding a sweet change of pace to this mainly high tempo album. 

When the album fell of its game, it seemed like it was mainly because it let certain areas drown in their influences rather than taking and making them something new. "Back and Forth" felt like a copy of a bad New Found Glory song about not being happy with ones own self in the context of a relationship. Shaking off "All or Nothing" isn't hard either, it just exudes standard on all levels. The trickling guitar, the try hard emotionally charged vocals, the basic drum work... you've heard it before, I promise. You've also heard it done a lot better, this is skippable at best. 

I was pretty bummed that the album went out on a couple of merely 'in one ear, out the other' jams in the form of "Breaking Ground" and "Tooth & Nail". I don't want you to be confused I genuinely like a good portion of World, but it's a spotty release. It's unfortunate, but the spirit is often brought down with a mediocre song here, or a visibly weak one there. The album goes on its strongest run from the single "Secrets" until "Perfect Score", with things getting a bit inconsistent after that point.

State Champs are oozing with potential, and I can't wait to see what they accomplish in the future as a band, especially once they start to incorporate new influences and ideas into their songs. This just wasn't the album I was hoping for after loving the key track "Secrets". Overall for Around The World And Back, I'm feeling a strong 3/5 with a moderately low replay factor as a whole body of work.

This was just my opinion of course, feel free to let me know yours in the comments section, or on Twitter @ARTVReviews. If you've stumbled onto my blog and aren't familiar with my work, you can find me on YouTube which is where almost all of my reviews are posted. Thanks for reading, I'll see you soon with reviews of Beach House, Coheed, and Demi Lovato. 

-Jon













No comments:

Post a Comment