Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit (Album Review)





          I need to clarify a statement that some of my viewers/readers don't even know about, most likely. I stated "I don't really feel like I missed out on anything in 2015 all that much." What a dumb thing to say, especially after hearing this gem of a record. Courtney Barnett is an alternative rock artist from the wonderful land of Australia, a country that's easily #1 on my top 10 places I want to see in the next 10 years. 

Barnett's music didn't grab me at first, I tried out a few songs because of all the acclaim, but "Avant Gardener" was the first to stick. A friend sent me a few tracks from her then upcoming record, but I don't feel I gave them a fair chance to sink in. Months breezed by, and I finally queued up the long winded Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I just Sit. "

Elevator Operator" plays. "Okay, this is fun" I'm thinking to myself. Not only this track, but really all throughout, we see Barnett allowing her thoughts to run wild, without feeling messy in the slightest. Imagine your brutally honest friend that spews out a stream of consciousness. Now imagine that same friend making an album. THIS IS THAT, AND IT SOMEHOW WORKS MAGICALLY! 

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell. Don't go please. I just want you to know that the indie rocker's debut is worth your time, and your money. I bought a copy recently, and you bet your Rolling Stone collection I don't regret it. I've been kind of vague up to this point, so let's briefly talk about what went RIGHT with this record. 

Musically, this is top notch work. Her backing band kills it on nearly every song. From the lighthearted swimming pool love story "Aqua Profonda!", to the scorching single "Pedestrian at Best", they keep things fresh with ridiculously entertaining surf punk meets alternative riffs and drum patterns. Do they line up with Barnett's semi droll (not a criticism, just her style) vocals? Hell yes they do! In fact, I couldn't picture Courtney being backed by anything other than this garage rock-ish style, other than maybe grunge or...okay I'm not getting into Barnett conspiracy theories. 

I've already mentioned some of my favorite tunes, but I haven't even named some of the best yet. "An Illustration of Loneliness" is the perfect ode to the lonely lazy mind, sitting back and watching the paint dry while the clock circles round, as you think of that special someone. The fuzzy guitar line seems to have a few pedal effects thrown in there, and I really really dig the sound that it provides. "Dead Fox" has some damn catchy notes as well, and I can't fail to mention the wonderful build to the blissful little guitar solo in "Small Poppies" either. It's never a bad thing when you have a hard time narrowing down your favorite moments, now is it?

The album doesn't take itself too seriously either, Barnett has a snarky (and wonderful) sense of humor that pours in on "Nobody Really Cares If You Don't Go To The Party", which would have easily been in my top 25 songs of 2015, if I had actually heard it last year. I already mentioned the cackle worthy "Aqua Profonda!", which is quite simply just the best, but we've got "Debbie Downer" stealing the spotlight right out from under it. I love how 90s this song feels, featuring those splashy and colorful keys, a sunny sing along chorus where Barnett swears "I'm not fishing for your compliments", and the lovely drumming that is quite frankly some of the best percussion on the entire album. 

It goes without saying that the epic 7 minute "Kim's Caravan" kicks ass, as Barnett proves here and on "Depreston" that she can crank more down-tempo songs and still win. Lyrically, these are two of the more interesting cuts, in the sense that they require a bit more thought in order to absorb them. 

There's moments of songs here and there that I don't care for, as songs like "Dead Fox"get a little repetitive for me, "Small Poppies" overstays its welcome by a slight bit, and then the dull closer "Boxing Day Blues" really just dragging this album to its final resting place. It's a bummer to go out on a less than captivating moment, but the rest of this record more than makes up for a few moments that stall out. 

If you were like me and missed out on this album in 2015, give it a listen on Spotify and see what you think! It gets a glowing reccomendation from me, I hope you it enjoy it as well.

Thanks for reading! You can find me posting reviews every week on my YouTube channel, be sure to subscribe!

"Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit"
Release Date: 3/20/15
Album Rating: 4/5
Mom+Pop Records

-Jon from ARTV





















 

No comments:

Post a Comment