Monday, December 15, 2014

TOP 50 SONGS OF 2014! (ARTV)


50: Waves - Sleeper Agent


- This alternative group caught my eye back in 2011 with their debut effort Celabrasion, but their most focused and cohesive work to date came in the single "Waves". Led by a super melodic guitar and figure-me-out styled lyrics, this track is sure to get in your head for days on end.

49: The Negative One - Slipknot


- Slipknot burst back onto the scene with this aggressive track, filled with hatred, anger, and a ferocious performance by vocalist Corey Taylor. Turntables, big riffs, and emotive screamed vocals. Classic Slipknot material right here.

48: Gooey - Glass Animals


- "How odd" was probably a thought that crossed my mind when  heard "Gooey" for the first time. It's weird how certain tracks have a longevity about them. I think "Gooey"'s staying power comes in it's clean and almost mysterious production, along with the intriguing higher pitched vocals. Hear it for yourself, you'll see!

47: I Have A Problem - Beartooth
 

- Like I was saying, the shelf life of a track, or an album, is an odd thing sometimes. You guys know thoroughly enjoyed Beartooth's album "Disgusting", but this track is one of the only ones that truly stuck with me over the months. Caleb Shomo gives a borderline psychotic vocal performance, crying out in fear and shame about how drinking has affected his life and everything around him.


46: Movie - Hoodie Allen
 

- Movie plays out like a sweet and somewhat cocky short film, packed full with, you guessed it, references to popular movies, both old and new. The instrumental sounds slightly like a tribute to older material from Maroon 5, and Hoodie totally makes it work.


45: I Wanna Get Better - Bleachers
 

- Disappointed as I may have been with Strange Desire, lead-off single "I Wanna Get Better" is a total blast of alt-rock joy in my book. Jack Antonoff's storytelling skills hit an all time high on this track, and it's music video suits it almost perfectly.


44: Kathleen - Catfish & the Bottlemen
 

- Who is this Kathleen, and why is she giving this band so many problems? Catfish & the Bottlemen unleash their angst on this straight forward rock jam that feels like something I might've heard on the radio in the mid-2000's. And anyone who knows me is aware that I am more than okay with that.


43: Best Friend - Foster the People
 

- Admittedly, this track feels like it might've been more at home on their debut album Torches, but I still can't resist this one's charm. Initially, I interpreted this fun pseudo upbeat jam to be about a friend and drug use, but Mark Foster has clarified and said that "Best Friend" is about his writers block and the struggle to come up with new material. Who would've thought that subject matter would make for such a peppy tune? 

42: Like a Stranger - Kitten 
 

- You might recall I discussed this Kitten record with Anthony Fantano of The Needle Drop back in June, which was definitely an honor. "Like a Stranger" has stood the test of time, and does the 80s oh so well. You had a little bit of fun listening to this track, admit it!

41: Sunny Days & Hand Grenades - Chiodos
 

- Chiodos gained back original singer Craig Mabbit, and returned with an extremely surprising album called Devil last spring. This track in particular has always struck me as unique, meshing together their usual theatrics with a more aggressive guitar tone. You can probably thank new guitarist, Thomas Erak, for that.

40: Sleepwalking - The Chaingang of 1974
 

- I've always had a not-so-secret crush on the synth line in the famed Killers track "Somebody Told Me", and "Sleepwalking" is the first track I've heard in a long time to bring something similar to the table. No, that's not the only reason I'm enjoying this track, but it's sure as hell a factor! The guitar helps shape up this track, and the seemingly distraught vocals only add to this songs dark appeal for me.

39: Sparklers - Gemini Club
 

- Huge crunchy synthesizers roll all over this track from up and coming group Gemini Club, churning and burning their way to the finish line. You can't deny that catchy sing-a-long chorus either. If you like this one, be sure to check out more of their stuff!

38: Left Hand Free - Alt J
 

- Regardless of what this song is actually about, I get a blissful feeling every time I hear it, and it never gets old to me. Guns, girls, and garage rock, geez whiz! Sure, it's the least 'alt-j' sounding track they've ever released, but sometimes it's good to experiment, right?

37: My Desire - Interpol
 

- Daniel Kessler sure knows how to hook something with his guitar playing. I've always been interested in his often reverb filled performances, that can haunt but also entertain. It helps that Paul Banks gives his best and most emotive vocal performance on El Pintor on this track, but Kessler certainly blazes the trail.

36: Waking Light - Beck
 

- Beck created something magical on the final track of his fantastic record Morning Phase. The song gives the feeling of stepping outside into the warm sunlight, and continues its embrace with it's airy and approachable appeal. The guitar solo during the outro is pure ecstacy, and it was a no-brainer to include this on my best of list.

35: Ouija Board - Chevelle
 

- Chevelle took an aggressive approach with the opening track on their latest record, taking their style they're known for and revving it up to full throttle. This is the most involved and passionate I've seen singer-guitarist Pete Loeffler since the Sci-Fi Crimes era. 

34: A Perfect World - Broken Bells
 

- "A Perfect World", a perfect opening. Immerse yourself into the world of Broken Bells. This is one spaced out alternative ride, but it's more than worth its admission ticket.

33: Foolish Father - Weezer
 

- Rivers Cuomo is finally at peace with not only his father, but really himself as a songwriter. All that had been building up throughout the new record culminated  in this powering cut that soars as close to the sun as Weezer did in their glory days. Huge shout-out to the children's choir that came in and added that extra pizazz, it really helped knock things out of the park. 

32: Peninsula - Dinosaur Pile-up
 

- This group might not be on your radar, but listen to "Peninsula" and you'll see why they should be. This power-punk leaning rocker could get any crowd pumped up with its vibrant chant along chorus, which is eventually capped off with a monster of a guitar solo and some really interesting vocal harmonies.

31: Yellow Flicker Beat - Lorde
 

- Have you guys noticed that I'm a fan of pretty much everything this girl has done? I honestly can't think of one song that she's done that I dislike. "Yellow Flicker Beat" served as the anthem for the new Hunger Games film, and it did its job well. In no way do you need to be a fan of those movies to enjoy this dark yet danceable tune. It's got enough wit and charm to stand on its own, if only it would attract the same kind of attention that her first singles did.

30: Someone New - BANKS
 

- This song genuinely surprised me. No, I didn't picture it as a year end contender when I reviewed Banks' album, yet here we are. This track sells the emotional post break-up sadness better than any other slow ballad in 2014, and I'll let you know why. Banks doesn't feel the need to be pushy or powerful with her voice, she lets herself comes across vulnerable, and that's why it feels genuine.

29: Action Cat - Gerard Way
 

- Sure enough, Way's comeback track grew on me more and more over the weeks. I've had other favorites from his debut solo LP, but this one ended up taking the cake. Grimy vocals almost get buried under the noisiness of the guitars and drums, but not in a way that detracts from the musical value of action cat. It's lyrics also ring true, speaking of things we want, but really just don't need, if we're being honest.

28: Midnight - Coldplay 
 

- I could kick myself for dismissing this track as middle of the road nonsense when I first heard and reviewed it. Granted, it wasn't until Ghost Stories was released that this track truly made sense to me, but once it clicked, it got me right in the feels. This track sees a former love, and the hope that came with that relationship, fleeting into the night. It gives me chills with each listen, and the glitchy electronic instrumental that guides this one out is oddly effective.

27: Out of the Woods - Taylor Swift
 

- We all knew it was coming. The song about Harry Styles, that is. But who knew it would be this great. It's production from Jack Antonoff is a mix of modern meets the 80s, with a synth guiding Swift's carefully delivered vocals. The bridge of this track, which recalls a hospital visit after a car accident, is the most likeable part of the song for me. The intensity picks up in both the vocal and instrumental department, and really just helps solidify this as one of the best pop songs of the year.

26: Too Far Gone - Sir Sly
 

- And to think I almost skipped out on hearing the new Sir Sly record. If I had, I would've missed this seemingly upbeat, yet very dark lyrical gem that speaks of one crying out to a loved one for help. It's reflective, as he ponders "Can I ever be too far gone for you to save me?". It's message is clear, it's guitar is catchy and smooth, and you will not want to miss this one.

25: Big Cheese - Bayside
 

- Pounding drums, guitar solos, and an awesome as usual vocal performance from Anthony Raneri. You do the math!

24: Let Go For Tonight - Foxes
 

-This is my ultimate let loose jam of 2014. It's all about forgetting all of the crap that drags you down, and letting go of your problems, if only for the night. It's a smart and well produced pop song, aka what we've come to expect from the lovely singer Foxes.

23: Chandelier - Sia
 

- Geez, this one tugs at the emotions. Sia gives one of the most beautiful performances of her career on "Chandelier", speaking of her alcohol abuse, and how's she's wasted so much time just getting by from one blurry night to the next. Add in a nice electronic beat, and a memorable writing style, and you've got yourself an emotive force to be reckoned with.

22: Flicker, Fade - Taking Back Sunday
 

- Taking Back Sunday have been around the block a few times, and they're still putting out some top notch material. Tell me you didn't love hearing guitarist John Nolan come in on the bridge and crush the vocals on this already high strung live wire of a tune. Every member stepped up big time for this, the lead single from their album Happiness Is.

21: Mother + Father - Broods
 

- This song struck a particular chord with me, because of how true the lyrics proved to be for me this year. I've temporarily moved away from the city I lived in all my life, and left all my friends and my parents behind. It's very emotive for me, and I love the voice this girl has. Plus they've got Joel Little, Lorde's producer, behind the helm, what could go wrong?

20: Close Your Eyes (And Count To Fuck) - Run the Jewels ft. Zack Dela Rocha
 

- Hip hop's most brash and exciting duo continued their winning streak in 2014, as MC's Killer Mike and El P dominate not only this highlight, but all of Run the Jewels 2. Zack Dela Rocha of Rage Against the Machine comes and crushes his verse on this fast paced track that's jam-packed with clever wordplay and fast flows.

19: Three Women - Jack White
 

- Nashville suited Jack White pretty damn well, if "Three Women" is any indication of his time spent there. He's got an upbeat folk leaning vibe going on here, as he describes the three women in question, where they live, and how he intends to keep them from finding out about each other. Damn it Jack, you might say a lot of stupid things, but sure know how to make good music.

18: Over - Tove Lo
 

- Tove Lo proved to be one of the most interesting names in the alternative pop world this year, but I still can not believe that her best work to date didn't make the cut for her debut. "Over" features one of the greatest hooks you could ever ask for, and the song as a whole really shows how talented she is as a songwriter.

17: Queen - Perfume Genius
 

- "No family is safe, when I sashay" Perfume Genius boldly declares on this delicately crafted cut from critically acclaimed album Too Bright. It's got charm, memorable key parts, and a mesmerizing vocal performance. I might not have loved everything about the album, but this song really sold me on the man's music.

16: Figure It Out - Royal Blood
 

- This brooding cut offers a little bit of build-up, and more payoff that you can handle. Seriously, Royal Blood unleashed their wrath in a major way on this

15: Water Fountain - Tune-Yards
 

- Easily the zaniest song on my list, "Water Fountain" has a special something that just will not let go of me. It's bright, somewhat simple, but snowballs in to something more complex? Is that the best way to describe it?

14: Do You - Spoon
 

- By some stroke of misfortune, I had never listened to Spoon until this year. The single "Do You" made a strong grab at me, with its nonchalant aura and sweet yet earnest vocals really selling this thing as one of the years best.

13: Prince Johnny - St. Vincent
 

- It's December. St. Vincent's self titled effort dropped in February? You're telling me you haven't heard this fantastic record yet?? "Prince Johnny" stood out to me as the best artistic piece from the LP, with it's somber guitar tone to match the lyrics that feel as if they're reflecting on a lost friendship, to me at least.

12: Let Me Down Gently - La Roux
 

- La Roux got that tropical vibe flowing on her fantastic new album, and "Let Me Down Gently" proves to be no exception. She proves that she's stellar at making a darker, less upbeat track, and at incorporating 80s synths and more organic instrumentation without spoiling her natural charm.

11: Paris - Magic Man
 

- If there's a rebound of the year award, it goes to "Paris", as I initially dismissed this one. Good thing I didn't continue passing it over, because this song proves why electronic leaning alternative group Magic Man deserve to be on your radar.

10: Right On, Frankenstein! - Death From Above 1979
 

- DFA hit back hard, reminding us that they went down, but they're sure as hell back up. Right On! lays it on the listener with a lot of heavy bass riffs, and the most fun instrumental on the new record. Garage dance-punk is really all I could think of to classify it as, so that will have to do. Once this song breaks down to it's rapid little strums, then brings back the vocals and drums, it should be obvious why I love this one so much.

9: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas + the Voidz
 

- I go a lot more detail on my review of their album Tyranny, but I'll say this. Julian brought this out of nowhere and made one of the most astonishing and emotional cuts of 2014, something I don't think too many would have banked out. The Strokes material may be getting stale, but rest assured that this cut has everything you could want in its 11 minute run.

8: Shut Up + Dance - Walk the Moon


- Dance rock ecstasy. Get out on the floor and groove, because Walk the Moon whip out some of the most likable synth and guitar combos I've heard since the mid 2000's.

7: Every Other Freckle - Alt J
 

- Love can turn to an obsession for some, and it can be a good or a bad thing. I'm not here to decide which category Alt-J fall into with this offering, but I'm sure as hell tuned in to listen. "Every Other Freckle" is a magnificent piece of art, and its creators should be proud, no matter how weird it can get at parts.

6: Guilty All the Same (ft. Rakim) - Linkin Park
 

- Some songs put a smile on your face and light a fire in your heart. Not only the first time you hear the track, but with every listen that follows. "Guilty All the Same" does that for, and it's epic 6 minute run should contain the answers as to why.

5: I Blame Myself - Sky Ferreira
 

- Yes, this was on a 2013 record, but it was released as a single in June of this year, making it eligible for my list! Ferreira knows her way around a melody, with some clicking and bumpy synthesizers guiding this song carefully on its path to success. She sounds as vulnerable as she does powerful on the cut, which only furthers my appreciation for this majestic song.

4: Take Me To Church - Hozier
 

- Hozier sings this song so fervently, and so convincingly, that its hard for me and the rest of the world to pass up on. This man dedicates his passion to his possibly unfaithful lover, asking "take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies".

3: Out of the Black - Royal Blood 
 

- If you follow my content, then you're aware that I've got a thing for this hard rock group from the UK. This is the song that made me fall in love with their style, and this is the one that hit home with me the most through the year.

2: Dangerous - Big Data ft. Joywave
 

- That bass line is forever embedded in me. "Dangerous" was one of my first loves of the year, as I heard it for the first time right around New Year's Day. Immediately predicted it would be a smash, included Big Data in my artists to watch list, just like with Royal Blood, and here they are with a #1 alternative single under their belts. Listen to ARTV, and you can see the future. Maybe that should be my new tagline...

1: Ballast (This Is the Time) - Nothing More 


- Ocean Floor, the intro song that leads into this one HAS to get a shout out too. That build-up is immense, and the payoff is extremely rewarding. Nothing More are one of the most under-rated bands in the world of rock today. They've been making music for 10 years as a band, and I'll bet that you've never even heard of them! The reason "Ballast" tops my list is simple. No other tune rocked my world like this did. The ground shattering blasts of guitar, the anguished vocal performance from Jonny Hawkins, and the incredibly visceral and unique lyrics all helped seal the deal as well. How many rock bands out there are really trying to push the envelope with their lyrics, and push their listeners to think? Nothing More's self titled album is not one to miss, do yourself a favor and listen to the whole thing NOW.


No comments:

Post a Comment