Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Top 15 Albums of 2014! (ARTV)


It's hard to believe that 2014 is almost a thing of the past. But then again, I say that with every passing year. 2014 was a noticably weaker year for music, but there were definitely still some amazing releases. Keep in mind that this is MY list so I don't want to hear any of the "where the hell are The War on Drugs and Perfume Genius?" comments. 

I did a video about not having to love what the critics love, which also applies to me as a critic. I often don't love what the biggest critics out there love, and that's what makes ARTV different. So to anyone upset that The some of the biggest underground artists with tons of acclaim won't necessarily be appearing on my list... sorry for having personal preferences and opinions? (have sarcasm land on screen) 

You might also be surprised that some of my highest rated albums didn't land on the list, and some of the ones I might have initially rated lower have worked their way up the ranks over time. It happens. Some albums just don't stick with you like you think they will, and others only tighten their grip with each play. Okay, let's get this thing started!


#15:  Gerard Way - "Hesitant Alien"






Gerard Way unleashes his inner distortion all over his debut solo LP, and the results were hard to deny. While Way seems much more enthusiastic and uh, happy, if you will, he doesn't lose the spunk and attitude that made him one of the most charismatic front-men of the alternative movement of the mid 2000's. Cuts like "Action Cat" show off a noisy rock style that succeeds in keeping the vocals and the guitars at similar volume levels, while other key areas like "Drugstore Perfume" pay tribute to the 80's with effects pedals galore and a heartfelt lyrical approach. The album rarely gets off track, which makes for a smooth listen with a lot of cuts you can sink your teeth into.


#14: Interpol - "El Pintor"


I was honestly surprised at how much I ended up loving the newest offering from the New York rockers Interpol. Their last album, a self titled effort, didn't have much of a shelf life to it because there wasn't very much interesting content there in the first place, to be blunt. El Pintor finds the group one member short, but sounding the strongest they have since 2002's Turn on the Bright Lights. Guitarist Daniel Kessler hits us with some slick and pounding guitar riffs that have a very unique vibe about them, slicing their way through highlights such as "Twice As Hard" and "My Desire". It helps that Paul Banks feels much more invested and earnest with his vocal performances throughout the record, compared to some of his lackluster performances over the last pair of records. Congrats Interpol, it's good to have you back on track.


#13: St. Vincent - Self Titled


I checked out this record after hearing a few of my viewers speak highly of it. Sure, I had heard a few cuts from St. Vincent in the past, but I didn't remember any of them striking me as something I absolutely HAD to hear more of. The self titled record begs to differ. It's not the St. Vincent has ditched the whole 'art rock' label, but rather she's incorporated that mood into her most accessible effort to date. There's a light and reflective mood on highlights like "I Prefer Your Love" and the truly spectacular "Prince Johnny", while synthesizers, guitars, and a more upbeat attitude carry the gems like the brooding but venomous "Rattlesnake" and single "Birth In Reverse". You'd be doing yourself a disservice if you miss out on hearing the latest record from Miss Annie Clark.


#12: Bayside - "Cult"


To everyone who thinks the modern pop punk scene is dying, you clearly haven't heard of a band called Bayside. They've been Warped Tour mainstays for roughly a decade, and have time and time again put out GOOD albums that make the most of each band member's specific talents. However, "Cult" rose above even their normal standards of excellence and presents itself as a compelling piece of art, with big drum fills, explosive guitar solos, and a balance of angst-ridden vocals on cuts like "Pigsty", and the more emotionally in check jams like "Transitive Property". Through and through, this album is entertaining music with a good dose of staying power, as its stayed on rotation the majority of 2014 for me. 


#11: Nothing More - Self Titled


Originally released in 2013, this album was re-released this year after Nothing More, one of the most under-rated bands out there right now, signed with Eleven Seven Music. Upon hearing the single "This Is the Time", I knew immediately that I wanted to hear more. But what I didn't expect was an hour long rock record full of hard hitting attacks on the over-privileged, ("The Matthew Effect") powerful ballad styled tracks, and a nice incorporation of glitchy electronics on a few reprise styled cuts. This ladies and gentlemen is an ALBUM. There's an undeniable connectivity in these songs, starting with the album's opener "Ocean Floor" which climaxes straight into "This is the Time". Lyrically, this band gets all the awards, simply for not succumbing to the dumb stereotypes that modern rock music tend to stick to. They speak of not falling line on Mr. MTV, questioning the way we conduct ourselves on "Ballast", and tackle anything and everything on the monsters like "God Went North" and "Friendly Fire". If you're looking for a great hard rock album with a lot of depth to it, Nothing More is the way to go. 


#10: Coldplay - "Ghost Stories"


                                      








You wouldn't exactly expect a break-up record to be something that grips you so tightly, but Ghost Stories proved to have life beyond death. The death of a relationship, that is. Chris Martin explores the depths of depression on somber slices "Oceans" and "Always in my Head", without forgetting to include sparks of life in "Magic" and "A Sky Full of Stars". The latter of those tracks may be my least favorite on the record, but its certainly grown on me. This record is perfect for driving, thinking, and reflecting, three things I've done a lot of this year. 




#9: La Roux - "Trouble In Paradise"




Grab yourself a seat by the ocean, because the tropical vibes are flowing big time on the long awaited, and aptly titled, sophomore release from now solo artist La Roux. Five years is a long time for a pop artist to drop off the radar, but there was still a rather large fan base waiting for her when she dropped her excellent track "Let Me Down Gently" last spring. She certainly took a risk by incorporating more live instrumentation this time around, with a totally different goal in mind. It works so so well though, and I've got to give it to her. I doubted that I'd that interested in the comeback record, and I ended up completely loving every single song on the 9 track album, minus the closer. From the upbeat and downright chipper tunes like "Kiss and Not Tell" to the epic 7 minute banger "Silent Partner, I'll say this. Well done, Miss Jackson.


#8: Walk The Moon - "Talking Is Hard"



Walk The Moon BARELY made the cutoff for my year end chart, launching an official stream of their record the last week of November. This record has so much hook and appeal, it's impossible for me to ignore. A year end slot was a given for this album after roughly 5 or 6 listens all the way through. It's fun dance rock with spunk laced lyrics and attitude coming from vocalist Nick Petricca. They splatter their trademark sound all over the opener "Different Colors", and continue to take us through their journey from the highs of endlessly catchy "Shut Up and Dance" to the lows of "Down In the Dumps". It's ego driven at times, sure, but it doesn't appear to take itself seriously, and they've got more than enough charm to make it work in spectacular fashion. 
#7: Run the Jewels - "Run the Jewels 2"


Run the Jewels have blown my mind, showing me that I can truly fall in love with a modern hip hop record. Killer Mike and El P are the 2 MC's that make up this duo, merging hard hitting beats and loops with hard verbal attacks and truly impressive wordplay. Killer Mike is my favorite of the duo, but both men are truly talented rappers. The flow from track to track is impeccable, and the run times are perfect in my book. So many hip-hop records seem to feel the need to be 20 tracks long, with tons of features, long and dull instrumental interludes, among other cliches. This record does none of those things. And when the guests do show up, they make 'em count. Point and case, Zack Dela Rocha on my personal favorite "Close Your Eyes". The duo tackles everything from personal issues and relationships to politics, and it all adds up to make the most exciting hip hop release of the year.


#6: Beck - "Morning Phase" 


Mellow out, and relax with Beck as he sails through a dream world of love, loss, and inspirations he finds in the things that surround him. It's a simple, but graceful journey, and it demands to be taken by anyone willing to listen. Once you do, it'll be easy to see why I love this album all the way from "Cycle" to "Waking Light", the latter of those being my overall favorite.
#5: Linkin Park - "The Hunting Party"

 
Linkin Park hit back hard after a few experimental records, that were never by any means bad, but still seemed to be missing a certain spark that their first 2 records contain. I might not hold the same level of hype for The Hunting Party now as when I initially reviewed it, but there's no denying how great this record is. They get into a strong rock groove, led by cuts like "All For Nothing", "Mark the Graves", and the haunting closer "A Line in the Sand". The guitars are alive again, and the electronics finally take a backseat as Linkin Park strive to take hard rock back to the modern world. For the record, I saw them live and met them this past summer, and they are some genuinely nice dudes. Chester Bennington actually recognized me from my review of their record which was astonishing to me, but I guess you do tend to remember those who give your band's album a perfect score ;)


#4: Taylor Swift: "1989"


The crossover from country to all out pop was coming, we could all see that. But Taylor Swift's 80's synthpop is way more fun than expected, and is dare I say her best album to date. I've always been a fan of Swift. She's a talented songwriter who yes, does go through a lot of guys, but does it really matter when we get incredible songs like "Out of the Woods"? Didn't think so. I'm still cold-shouldered towards ill-fitting lead single "Shake It Off", but other than that, there's not a moment on here that I don't cherish. You're into ballads? Try "Clean". More bubblegum pop with a little kick to it? "Bad Blood". I could continue, but for the purpose of not sounding like a monotonous robot, I won't. Hate her still? Well she's got a blank space, and she's not afraid to throw your name in there. 


#3: Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World


What's 10 years when you're Death From Above 1979? Clearly nothing as these dudes breeze through these bass led dance-punk jams that sound like they could do it in their sleep. The guys don't miss a single beat, nor do they allow room for any throwaway tracks. The lyrics are laced with fire as they match the intensity of the instrumentals, which are filled with hammering drum rhythms and skillful bass lines.


#2: Royal Blood - Self Titled

Royal Blood are THE most exciting new act out there in the world of rock. I fell in love on my first listen, with "Out of the Black" commanding the listener's attention, and brings out pent up inner angst that somehow feels satisfying to release after each listen. "I've got a gun for a mouth and a bullet with your name on it" singer Mike Kerr cries. Hard rock meets up with some blues influences on cuts like "Loose Change" and "Ten Tonne Skeleton" while the bombastic "Figure It Out" finds a way to become the years most bombastic blast of energy in its final act. I'm getting heated just thinking about it, it's really making me want to go listen! But I've got one more album you might want to hear about before then...

#1: Weezer - "Everything Will Be Alright In The End"
  



Even Da Vinci couldn't paint my reaction when I realized that THIS was my album of the year. Da Vinci joke didn't land? Oh come on! 
Weezer's comeback album has EVERYTHING. Catchy hooks for days, extremely skillful songwriting, and the simplicity that helped launch this band's career in the first place. The more I hear the record, the more I appreciate it and love every single thing about it. Things that initially didn't sit as well with me like the whistling in "Da Vinci" and the lyrical content in "I've Had It Up to Here" are now charming and welcomed to me. The impact this record has had on me is huge, as it opened up my mind to the fact that old bands can still pull off new tricks. Some fans longing for the older styles of Weezer will find true happiness on "Ain't Got Nobody" and "Go Away", while listeners craving something slightly more adventurous will fall for the closing tracks "Foolish Father" and "The Futurescope Trilogy". One of the most versatile and well rounded albums I've spun over the past couple of years, it's got my undying seal of approval and is the ARTV Album of the Year!


























No comments:

Post a Comment